According to Poltico’s The Scorecard, it has been confirmed by a Shuler sposkesperson that Rep. Heath Shuler (D-NC) will not be running against Senator Richard Burr (R-NC) in the 2010 NC Senate race.
Phew! As much as I would like to see a Democrat take that seat, I’m not entirely convinced that Heath Shuler would be a better representative for North Carolina than Burr…and that’s saying a lot.
So who’s left?
In my mind, there are two potential Democratic candidates for that 2010 race, but only one viable one (sorry Brad Miller). I’ve prepared a short bio below:
Rep. Bob Etheridge– This guy is LITERALLY salt of the Earth. A Representative from NC’s 2nd district (essentially the area in the middle of the state slightly east and south of Raleigh), who has really put in his time:
- Served in the U.S. Army
- Small tobacco farmer and hardware store owner by trade
- Served as Hartnett County Commissioner for 4 years
- Served 4 terms in the NC House of Representatives
- Elected North Carolina Superintendent of Public Instruction (2 terms)
- Elected to the U.S. House of Representatives in 1996 and still there
- Member of the New Democrat Coalition
Fun Fact: “Bob” is not short for Robert, but rather for “Bobby Ray.” This is not a joke.
How can North Carolina not fall in love with this guy?